Why Your Business NEEDS Pinterest Marketing
There are a few standout ways in which Pinterest varies from other social media sites. While you can “follow” users, and they can “follow” you—it’s not about friends and followers.
Instead, it is about generating instant access to engaging visual imagery and informative Pins regarding any and every area of interest. These Pins can then be added to a user’s personal boards for future reference. Anyone can access any other users Pins by the category or keywords related to the Pin. While each Pin can have a bit of text or even a URL, the goal is not the “here’s where I am or what I’m doing” topic of most social media platforms. Instead, a relevant comment regarding the post, and what it represents is standard. Most importantly, unlike Facebook and Twitter where your posts peak engagement is rarely more than 5 days (or a few hours) Pins can continue to show up in search results indefinitely.
Still Not Convinced, Check Out These Statistics
If you’re inclined to stick with the major players, like Facebook and Twitter, don’t write off Pinterest until you take a closer look at the statistics.
- Pinterest boasts an insane 150 million active users. Yeah, you heard that right.
- 70 million of those are in the US, with 80 million outside the US.
- There are over 75 billion Pins, which have been posted to over 1 billion public and private user boards.
- Over 2 billion shopping pins are posted daily.
- 87% of users make purchases after seeing products or services on Pinterest.
- 93% use it with an eventual purchase (online or offline) as their primary goal, which makes Pinterest a no-brainer platform for those seeking to sell goods and services to a shopping-minded audience.
- 72% of users make offline purchasing decisions based on Pinterest content.
- The average Pinterest user session is just over 14 minutes, which is very impressive when you compare that to most other social media platforms.
- 14 million rich pin articles are posted every day.
- 5% of all web traffic comes from Pinterest.
- 80% of Pinterest users access the site from a mobile device, so mobile marketing and mobile-friendly content is very important here.
- 2 out of 3 pins are posted by businesses or brands, so you’ve got some competition.
- Oh, and if you happen to be in the culinary niche, guess what: there are over 1.7 billion recipes on Pinterest.
- 81 percent of Pinterest users are women.
- Men make up about 40% of new users recently.
- In case you were wondering, the most popular categories for these new male Pinterest users are technology, food and drink (big surprise, right?).
- As for age, millennials are using Pinterest just as much as Instagram.
- The median age of users is 40 years old, but the most active “pinners” are under the age of 40.